About the South Dakota Showdown Series
The South Dakota Corn Utilization Council is proud to partner with Learfield Sports on behalf of both South Dakota State University and the University of South Dakota Athletic Departments for the title sponsorship of the South Dakota Showdown Series with the 2012-13 season marking the inaugural season of this new milestone event in South Dakota athletics.
The South Dakota Showdown Series, Presented by South Dakota Corn, tracks head-to-head match-ups and conference championship results in 17 sports with each school accumulating points toward the overall series championship. TheSeries also recognizes outstanding academic achievement by the school’s student-athletes and aims to raise awareness, funds and donations for Feeding South Dakota, the statewide not-for-profit with the goal of eliminating hunger in South Dakota.
The South Dakota State – South Dakota rivalry stems back to the two Universities first ever football meeting in 1889, which ended in a 6-6 tie. Over the years, SDSU and USD have competed head-to-head in over 100 football games. The two Universities added competition in men’s basketball in 1915 and women’s basketball in
1966. The schools also compete head-to-head in softball, women’s soccer and women’s tennis. Both schools are present day members of the Missouri Valley Football Conference and the Summit League. All told, South Dakota’s only two NCAA Division 1 schools have competed in over 560 collegiate athletics head-to-head match-ups in their histories.
Both Universities, the South Dakota Corn Utilization Council and Feeding South Dakota appreciate the cooperation of all fans in honoring the values of good sportsmanship at all South Dakota Showdown Series events and will be promoting these values throughout the season to their respective fan bases and all followers across the state of South Dakota.
- Football: SDSU 47 wins, USD 50 wins, 7 ties; First Meeting – 1889; Last Meeting – 2003
- Men’s Basketball: SDSU 116 wins, USD 88 wins; First Meeting – 1915; Last Meeting – 2012
- Women’s Basketball: SDSU 48 wins, USD 22 wins; First Meeting – 1966; Last Meeting – 2012
- Softball: SDSU 71 wins, USD 44 wins; First Meeting – 1978; Last Meeting 2012
- Women’s Soccer: SDSU 1 win, USD 4 wins; First Meeting – 2000; Last Meeting 2012
- Volleyball: SDSU 53 wins, USD 10 wins; First Meeting – 1967; Last Meeting – 2012